+61 2 9777 1111
Jacinta is a Principal of Shelston IP with 20 years’ experience in the patent profession. She heads the firm’s biotechnology/pharma group. She specialises in patent prosecution and opposition matters relating to molecular biology, pharmaceuticals, health care products, food science and agricultural technology. She also has extensive experience prosecuting requests for extension of patent term beforethe Australian Patent Office in relation to patents covering high-value and blockbuster pharmaceuticals.
Jacinta has several years’ experience in research. She graduated from the University of New South Wales with an honours degree in biochemistry and the University Medal for outstanding academic achievement. Her PhD studies involved use of microbial organisms as biochemical and genetic models to identify factors involved in the response to oxidative stress. As a postdoctoral fellow in the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute (Sydney), her work involved the use of genetic engineering/molecular biology to obtain transgenic mice for assessment of anti-hypertensive drug action.
Jacinta has lectured for 19 years on the Commercial Biotechnology course at the University of New South Wales and has also lectured on strategic management of intellectual property at Macquarie University. She is a past committee member of the NSW branch of AusBiotech and is currently a member of the editorial board of the World Patent Information Journal.
Jacinta has been prosecuting Plant Breeder’s Rights (PBRs) applications since 2002. She is currently responsible for more PBRs than any other attorney in Australia and assists some of the largest users of the PBR system. She is a PBR QP (“Qualified Person”), one of a very small number of patent attorneys accredited by the Australian Plant Breeder’s Rights Office to certify PBRs.
Jacinta has been identified as an IP Star every year since 2015.
Key Practice Areas:
- Plant Variety
- Filing & Prosecution
- IP Office Proceedings
- Strategy & Advisory
- Food & Beverage
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceuticals inc Biotechnology + Life Sciences
Year Joined Firm: 1998
- 2017 Accredited Qualified Person (Plant Breeders Rights)
- 1999 Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- 1998 Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies, University of Technology Sydney
- 1997 Doctor of Philosophy (Molecular Biology), University of New South Wales
- 1993 Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry) (Honours), University of New South Wales
- Fellow, Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Member, AusBiotech
Last updated 18th April 2018