Joel Mohrman heads intellectual property litigation for McGlinchey Stafford with a special focus on the oil field services and software and chemical industries. In addition to his industry knowledge, Joel brings extensive courtroom experience via 40 trials and arbitrations to verdict in 19 states. Joel has litigated matters regarding patents and copyright and trademark matters, and has handled well over 100 trade secret/covenant not to compete matters and writes extensively in this area.
Because of his extensive litigation and trial experience, Joel has obtained three board certifications:
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial Law
- Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, a division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification (an American Bar Association Affiliate)
- Certified as an Advocate by the National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, a division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification (an American Bar Association Affiliate)
Joel is frequently invited to speak to industry groups and other organizations on various intellectual property and litigation topics. Most recently, Joel joined the prestigious faculty of the American Conference Institute's expert forum on employment trade secret protection and litigation.
Co-author, Handling Business Torts, Volumes 1 and 2, Thomson West Publishing, 2015; Co-author, "Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Law," Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, 2010–2013. Author, "Recent Developments in Business Litigation," Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, 2006–2013 (Covenants not to Compete); Author, "Injunction Bonds: An Important Yet Overlooked Part of Noncompete Litigation," Business Torts Journal, 2008; Co-author, "Responding to Patent Troll Claims," 2013
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Washington & Lee University, B.A., 1977
American Bar Association, Former Chair and Current Vice Chair for the Business Litigation Committee for the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section; Former Chair and Current Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee; Former Member of the Finance Committee, Former Member of the Annual Program Committee, Member of the Revenue Enhancement and Membership Committees; Litigation, Intellectual Property, and Law Practice Management Sections; American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Foundation Fellow; American Bar Foundation, Fellow; American Intellectual Property Law Association; Houston Bar Association, Member of the Litigation Committee, and has presented numerous seminars for the HBA on various trial tactics and other litigation related matters; State Bar of Texas, Member of the Anti-Trust, Litigation, and Intellectual Property Committees; Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- 2014 Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent ® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Texas Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2012, 2014–2015
- "IP Star," Managing Intellectual Property's IP Handbook, 2014–2015