Tel: +8610 5870 2028
Fax: +8610 5870 2026
Contact: Tim Meng
Number of partners: 4
Number of practitioners: 20
Languages: English & Chinese
Practice Areas: General Corporate; IP; Dispute Resolution; Labor & Employment and Family Law
GoldenGate Lawyers, located in the Central Business District of Beijing, China, is equipped with a strong ability to help clients with intellectual property issues to commercial legal services. Our continued dedication to the legal profession sees us strive to provide the highest quality services for both domestic and international clientele. Our service in foreign direct investment, international trade, intellectual property, labor laws, international family law, real estate, international commercial disputes, and especially international arbitration and intellectual property have won international praise by clients and industry peers.
In China’s growing economy, GoldenGate Lawyers emerges as a top legal services firm. With a team of English-speaking lawyers familiar with local laws and practices, GoldenGate Lawyers understands each client’s specific needs, tailoring unique practices and continuously improving our practices to guarantee success.
Foreign Direct Investment
GoldenGate Lawyers offers services in all areas related to foreign direct investment, including and beyond: Establishment of foreign investment entities, Property leasing, Foreign and local labor management, Contract drafting and review, Foreign currency control, Import and export, Regulatory compliance, Intellectual property protection, Tax consulting, Liquidation, Anti-trust and anti-corruption investigations, and Corporate responsibility etc.
- Engaged by an UK-based company in Beijing for contract drafting and review, IP protection, labor dispute resolution, equity transfers, contract disputes, regulatory compliance, development of company policy and more;
- Working with a company based in Netherlands and serving as Director of Board of its joint venture in China;
- Represented an American company in transferring equity of its WFOE to their Chinese business partner with a value of more than US$8 million, and signing a distribution contract and trademark licensing contract;
- Hired by a Singaporean company to dissolve their operations in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, and dealt with issues related to industry and commerce, taxation, banking and bad loans, customs, labor layoffs and inventory liquidation;
- Retained by an American company to sign distribution agreements with a Chinese partner, and set up entities in Hong Kong and the Mainland to implement the distribution agreement;
- Employed by a Korean conglomerate company to develop multiple template contracts for mobile phone sales;
- Hired by a car dealer in Venezuela to revise distribution agreement with Chery Automobile;
- Employed by a German company to draw service agreements amendments worth US$20 million for their coal washing equipment;
- Retained by a Hong Kong based design company to develop a full range of labor management files, including employee handbooks, employment contracts, job offer letters, dismissal letters, etc.
Intellectual Property Protection
GoldenGate Lawyers is competent in dealing with all types of IP matters such as in-bond and out bond trademark and patent filing, reviews of refusal of trademark and patent applications, trademark opposition, patent invalidation, trademark/patent/copyright infringement, recognition of well-known marks, customs action, as well as AIC raid and criminal procedure. Particularly, GoldenGate Lawyers works from the client’s commercial and litigation perspectives and IP views, to come up with a tailored action plan.
- The 2006 Starbucks Trademark Infringement case, which was recognized by the Supreme People’s Court as one of the top ten intellectual property cases of the year;
- The 2008 RITZ Trademark Infringement case, which was again chosen by the Supreme People’s Court as one of the top ten intellectual property cases of the year;
- Representing Columbia Sportswear of US to take various legal actions around China;
- Representing Havaianas of Brazil to take various legal actions around China;
- Winning the www.yoplait.com.cn domain name dispute for a subsidiary of General Mills;
- Patent no. 200710086549.7 filed for China Animal Disease Control Center under the Ministry of Agriculture, and winning the China Patent Gold Award conferred by SIPO and WIPO;
- Winning infringement cases for ADC in Ningbo, Tianjin, Shenzhen and Guangzhou courts;
- Representing the Ogilvy Group in dealing with multiple IP cases such as advertising design disputes involving trademark, copyright, and design patent.
Our team is highly experienced in international commercial disputes. Particularly in the field of international arbitration, GoldenGate Lawyers has represented a large number of files before the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Committee (CIETAC), the International Court of Arbitration, the German Institute for Arbitration (DIS), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, and is recognized as one of the most powerful and leading international arbitration teams in China.
- Serving as counsel for a Chinese state-run leading company in an ICC procedure regarding an EPC construction contract dispute governed by Swiss law, with a controversy amount in excess of €200 million;
- Serving as counsel for a large American logistics enterprise in arbitration of a cargo custody contract dispute before CIETAC, worth ¥17 million;
- Serving as counsel for a Hong Kong company before DIS of Germany with regard to distribution contract disputes under German law;
- Serving as counsel for a Chinese state-run enterprise in case of FIDIC contract disputes governed by Mongolian law with the Singapore International Arbitration Center;
- Serving as counsel for an American company in the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, for technology license contract disputes;
- Serving as counsel for an American company in Anhui Province’s High People’s Court to gain recognition and enforcement of awards made on the London Metal Exchange, worth US$1 million;
- Serving as counsel to a subsidiary of the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in Shaoxing Municipal Intermediate People's Court to retrieve loans of US $46 million.
Awards and Recognitions
- Tim Meng named by Chambers and Partners as a leading International Arbitration Lawyer for 2011/2012;
- Tim Meng and Linda Zhao named by Chambers and Partners as China’s leading International Intellectual Property Lawyers for 2011/2012;
- Named as a leading Intellectual Property Firm by Chambers and Partners for 2011/2012;
- Named as a leader in the field of Intellectual Property from 2008 through 2012 by Managing IP;
- Candidate for the 2012 Firm of the Year for international arbitration, dispute resolution and Emerging Firm by ALB;
- Entrusted by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2012 to perform a study on global laws relating to the video game industry;
- Tim Meng awarded Annual Arbitration Lawyer of 2011 by CorpINTL;
- Selected as China’s Annual ADR Services by Global Legal Expert in 2011;
- Paper on Enforcement of Foreign Judgment in China published in international legal journal Getting the Deal Through in 2011;
- Included in list of 10 Firms to Watch of 2010 by ALB, and
- 2009 candidate for ALB’s Emerging Firm of the Year